Friday, June 27, 2008

Week 3: RSS and News Readers

What can I say? I would be lost without Bloglines, right now I have 133 feeds and it is about to go up. Everyone has come up with such interesting blogs that I don't have feeds to...yet. That means I will have to go through my feeds and do some weeding. You can keep track of you feeds just like you would your favorites, but you are then tied to that computer. And what happens if your computer crashes? Bye, bye feeds.

I love the fact that my feeds are available when I want them and from where ever I am at; midnight on my home computer or while I am on vacation on my laptop. Yes, I have been known to take my laptop with me. It hasn't always worked, but that is a different story.

The idea of RSS feeds on webpage’s makes a lot of sense. I would like to see RSS feeds on the subject pages or a new books page. This would allow people to subscribe to the feed and know when new books were added or new links were added to the subject pages. Or how about an RSS for the database page; they could find out when a database has been added or deleted. The potential is there, it just has to be utilized.

No comments: