Friday, June 27, 2008

Week 2: Flickr

Well, week 2 has come and gone. Everyone did a fantastic job and should be extremely proud of themselves.

To display our photos to the world we used Flickr. Flickr is just one of the many services that is available on the web. It has its limitations: maximum of 200 photos can be displayed at any given time, limited photo editing, and unless otherwise specified all photos are available for copy by anyone. There are other products available like Picasso (Google) - able to store 2000 photos and works with Blogger. I discovered this recently and I am currently comparing the two. I am also going to be looking at other sources. I have added a slideshow from my flickr account; you should be able to see it on the side.

Now, I know I said that having the photos available for anyone to use can be a drawback, but it is also a plus. Last year I was in Oklahoma City and while there I went to the memorial for the bombing victims. I created a set in flickr and posted my photos in the set and made them public. This year around the anniversary date I received an email in flickr from a reporter for an online news service. She was writing an article about the event and needed photos. She had found my photos and wanted to use some of them, of course I said yes. This would have never happened if my photos had not been in flickr. Since I gave permission the photos that were selected now have a mention in the comments with a link to the article. Do the pluses outweigh the drawbacks? You will have to decide for yourself.

No comments: